Grassroots Activism in Support of a
5th Women's World Conference
In this section of the site we provide links to historical documents as well as more recent documents and other grassroot activism initiatives in support of a 5th Women's World Conference. As the momentum continues to build we will be updating this section of the site on a regular basis so check back often.
- A resolution supporting a 5th UN World Conference
on Women was introduced by Finland and tabled until the 2009 UN
Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) meeting
- The new USA Obama appointed representative (term ends in 2009) could move that it be taken up for discussion.
- NGOs with ECOSOC status could submit statements to support a 5WCW.
- A new resolution to support a 5th UN women’s conference needs to be passed by the CSW, which then goes to ECOSOC, and from there to be voted on by the General Assembly. It will take three years of planning before the conference takes place.
If you wish to get involved in this global initiative, also check the "Get Involved" section of the site.
- Attend Commission on the Status of Women
(March 2 –13,
**NOTE: Deadline for pre-registration is January 9, 2009**
(Click here for information on how to participate in CSW meetings)
The USA is one of 45 member countries of the CSW. (Click here for member list)
A new resolution in support of a 5WWC could be introduced by President Obama's appointee who will serve from 2009-2012. With Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State and activism from individuals and organizations, the United States could introduce a resolution and would line up support from other CSW members beforehand. It is also possible for the new appointees to CSW and ECOSOC to support a tabled resolution (see ECOSOC)
- Send letters, emails, and statements
of support from organizations
to the President, Secretary of State, Ambassador to the United
Nations, US representatives to CSW and ECOSOC, Senators and Members
of the House of Representatives. (Email
Obama transition team before January 20, 2009.)
- Fill out the form at change.gov/yourstory and
tell Obama-Biden administration that you want the U.S. to support a
5th World Women's Conference.
- Fill out the form at change.gov/yourvision and tell the Obama-Biden administration about your vision of why a 5th Women's World Conference is needed and what it will do to support women and children of the world.
Actions can be taken by women around the world.
To: Americans who want to help make this happen.
With one to two degrees of separation between Obama supporters and the people who can get the word out to who you know or who you know of:
- Contact your senators, members of the House of Representatives
(click here to look up phone numbers)
- Contact people on the Obama-Biden transition team
(click here to contact the transition team)
- Contact the President-Elect himself (click here for contact information)
- Get organizations with whom you are affilitated to write and sign petitions
- NGO’s accredited to ECOSOC can attend and lobby for this at the March meetings of the CSW.
To: Citizens of other countries, especially those with membership on
(Includes Brazil, Mexico, Paraguay, Belize in the Americas, Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, Great Britain & Northern Ireland in Europe; Japan, India and the Republic of Korea)
Actively make a similar effort to get the word out, to lobby members of your government, to get local and national organizations involved in writing and signing petitions, and contact your CSW representatives urging their support for a 5th Women's World Conference.